last year at marienbad





After hearing about it for as long as I can remember, I finally watched Last Year at Marienbad, the enigmatic 1961 masterpiece by Alain Resnais. I can't believe I waited so long, as it's precisely the type of film that I absolutely love! Beautiful and dreamlike, it may appear to be fraught with metaphor and symbolism, but is it really? Much has been written about it, and no doubt will be for years to come, but for optimum enjoyment bypass the intellect and just enjoy the gorgeous, maddening mystery of it all.

4 comments:

  1. My new year goal - watch everything I haven't seen from this list: https://mubi.com/lists/artful-costumes (it's around 60 out of 145 at the moment, I think).

    Last Year at Marienbad just went to the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, thanks for stopping by, Ana - and for commenting! I appreciate it!

      Delete
    2. It is great - even the movies I didn't like were worth it because of their visual aspect.

      I'm always around, even when I'm quiet - your blogs are some of my favourite places on the internet.

      Delete